Friday, January 28, 2011

Australia Day

Girl With An Addiction had one of the best Australia Days ever.


Quick Re-cap:
Met up at 7 Mile Beach with a bunch of awesome people from church. Mistaking a dirt road for one of the many entrances to the beach, we decided to follow it, trekking up and down a huge hill, and into the bush! About half an hour later, after a stick cut into my foot, a few spider attacks, having our lives threatened by some logs, vines and more sticks, we decided we should admit that we were lost and so we started to head back to our cars. And so Part One of our Australia Day Adventure ended...


Soon to be followed by Part Two: The Actual Beach!
We found the actual beach. Finally. We did the usual set up: beach towels out, bags in the middle, sunscreen application, commencement of good food consumption etc. A few people went and got hot chips, which were the bomb-diggity.


So I'm going to be honest, I never really liked the beach... Mainly because I can't see what's out there... The only reason I liked it was because there's  water, tanning, walking along the sand, and hot guys... 


However, my liking to the beach has grown immensely!!! 


After hanging out with fantastic-balismical people, we all headed back home, to do whatever.


I then went to my awesome friend's house for dinner, and later headed off to another beach to watch fireworks. My step-dad, Jay, and I actually went down into the water to watch the fireworks. It was really freaky because we were the only ones in the water, and I was so paranoid that a shark would come and attack us... Luckily, no sharks attacked us... 


Anyways, I had so much fun on Wednesday!! That day is most definitely on the Best Times I've Ever Had At A Beach Since I Can Remember list.


Anyways.


The 26th January marks the anniversary of the arrival of the First Fleet of 11 convict ships from Great Britain, and the raising of the Union Jack at Sydney Cove by its commander Captain Arthur Phillip, in 1788. 


However, today it is now known as a day where every sheila and bloke can come together and celebrate being an Aussie. 


On Australia Day, this is what's to be expected:


Attire: Thongs, boardies, singlets, all in these colours/patterns: 
Red, blue and white with some stars thrown in (The Australian flag), green and gold/yellow (Socceroo's colours, and representing Wattle and Eucalyptus), black (with red and yellow, for the Aboriginal flag), and basically anything that resembles the Australian flag, worn in any way such as a temporary tattoo, mini-flags, capes, towels, face-paint, you name it!


Food: Snags on the barbie, meat pies with enough sauce on them that the pie starts to disappear, beer, lamingtons, sangers, pavlova, mash and, of course, Vegemite!


Activities: Cricket, the beach, bush walks, barbecues, family get-togethers, Big Day Out, partying all night long, and fireworks.


Most common slang I actually heard this Australia Day: Aussie, barbie, G'day, arvo, and mate.


All these, and more, represent what our Australia is, so next Australia Day get together with your mates, and celebrate being an Aussie!!


God bless,


Girl With An Addiction 
xoxo =P


P.S. I know it's late. Quit complaining :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you thought of my blog/post.
Honesty is the best policy =)